Sunday, August 24, 2008

1st Marine Division Band

As I have said before I was a grunt, a ground pounder, an 0331 machine gunner but when I arrived in Nam they assigned me to the band. When I told my family they couldn't believe it so I had to send them a picture and of course my dads reaction was, "You can't play the radio let alone an instrument."

But myself and the other 15 to 20 grunts were not there to play but to work security on Hill 327 Alpha line. About three weeks before I arrived on Feb 23 1969 the band was doing their duty on the hill when they were attacked wounding many and killing three Cpl. Paul J. Mitchell, L/Cpl Victor A. Rabel, and Cpl. John P. Ziegler.

I have decided to dedicate this site to those three who gave all and will work on a sidebar to this blog in their honor.

Me about 40 years and 150 pounds ago.
FMD Band
TOP getting his Purple Heart

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.